The kiosk mode is a feature available from Android 5 and up locking the device to only run OnSign TV. This is a security feature particularly useful for touch devices, preventing users to access any other Android feature or setting.
Once the Kiosk mode is configured the device will:
- Not allow users to leave the OnSign TV App
- Block users from accessing the setup menu by performing a swipe on the top of the screen
- Not show the Android navigation bar
For maintenance, it is possible to set a password so only authorized personal can exit the OnSign TV player. This is explained at the end of this tutorial.
For Samsung devices, OnSign TV offers a different kiosk mode setup with several advantages over the method described in this tutorial. Click here to learn more.
To configure your device to kiosk mode you need:
- A device running Android 5 or higher
- OnSign TV Android Player 5.1.6 or higher
- To have ADB installed. (ADB is a command-line tool which lets you communicate with an Android device.) Learn how to install ADB.
- Your device set to run OnSign TV as Device Owner App.
Please note, once OnSign TV is configured as "Device Owner", the only way to remove it is performing a "Device Factory Reset".
There are three steps required to configure your Android device to Kiosk mode
- Factory reset
- Install OnSign TV App
- Run adb dpm command
1 - Factory reset
- A factory reset returns the device to an empty default state. In "Android Settings", click on the "Backup & reset" option.
- Select "Factory data reset" and wait for the process to finish. Your device will reboot when ready.
- Once the device reboots, you will need to re-enable the Developer Mode as described in the ADB tutorial.
2 - Install OnSign TV App
When the Developer Mode is enabled, it is time to use the ADB to install OnSign TV and activate it as a Device Owner.
- Download the latest OnSign TV version from the website.
- Connect your device to your Computer using a USB cable.
- Open the Command Prompt and install OnSign TV by typing the following command: adb install OnSignTV-N.N.N.apk
3 - Run adb dpm command
- Once the apk is successfully installed, activate the Device Owner by running the following command:
adb shell dpm set-device-owner tv.onsign/.services.sync.hw.owner.SignageAdminReceiver
From this point on, OnSign TV is active as the Device Owner and cannot be removed.
- Associate the player with your account by entering the code displayed on screen:
- During association, you will be presented with an optional extra password field (lock password). This password is used for exiting OnSign TV App when running in Kiosk Mode.