The kiosk mode is a feature available on Android 5 locking the device to only run OnSign TV. This is a security feature particularly useful for touch devices, preventing users to access any other Android feature or setting.
Once the Kiosk mode is configured the device will:
- Not allow users to leave OnSign TV App
- Block users from accessing setup menu by performing a swipe at the top of the screen
- Not show Android navigation bar
To help maintenance, it is possible to set a password so only authorized personal can exit the OnSign TV player. This is explained at the end of this tutorial.
- For Samsung devices, OnSign TV offers a different kiosk mode setup with several advantages over the method described in this tutorial. Click here to learn more.
To configure your device to kiosk mode you need:
- A device running Android 5 or higher
- OnSign TV Android Player 5.1.6 or higher
- To have ADB installed(learn how to install ADB) - ADB is a command-line tool that lets you communicate with an Android device.
- Your device set to run OnSign TV as Device Owner App.
Please note, once OnSign TV is configured as "Device Owner", the only way to remove it is performing a "Device Factory Reset".
There are three steps required to configure your Android device in Kiosk mode
- Factory reset
- Install OnSign TV App
- Run adb dpm command
1- Factory reset
- A factory reset returns the device to an empty default state. In "Android Settings", click on the "Backup & Reset" option.
- Select "Factory data reset" and wait for the process to finish. Your device will reboot when ready.
- Once the device reboots, you will need to re-enable Developer Mode as described in the ADB tutorial.
2 - Install OnSign TV App
When the Developer Mode is enabled, it is time to use the adb to install OnSign TV and activate it as a Device Owner.
- Download the latest OnSign TV version from the website.
- Connect your device to your Computer using an USB cable.
- Open the Command Prompt and install OnSign TV by typing the following command:adb install OnSignTV-NNN.apk
*OnSignTV-NNN.apk is the name of the file you downloaded.
3 - Run adb dpm command
- Once the apk is successfully installed, activate the Device Owner by running the following command:adb shell dpm set-device-owner tv.onsign/.sync.hw.owner.SignageAdminReceiver
From this point on, OnSign TV is active as the Device Owner and cannot be removed.
- Associate the player with your account by entering the code displayed on screen:
- During association, you will be presented with an optional extra password field (lock password). This password is used for exiting OnSign TV App when running in Kiosk Mode.
How to Exit Kiosk Mode