The kiosk mode is a useful feature for interactive touch screen displays installed in public areas. When active OnSign TV will be the only application running. The user cannot leave the OnSign app and tamper with the terminal in any unintended way. It is available for OnSign TV versions 6 and up.
- For Samsung devices, OnSign TV offers a different kiosk mode setup with several advantages over the method described in this tutorial. Click here.
To configure your device to kiosk mode you need:
- A device with Android 5 or higher
- OnSign TV Android Player 5.1.6 or higher
- Your device set to run OnSign TV as Device Owner App.
Please note, once OnSign TV is the Device Owner, it cannot be removed. The only way to remove a Device Owner application is a factory reset erasing all data.
This tutorial describes all steps to enable kiosk mode in three parts:
- Factory reset
- Install OnSign TV App
- Run adb dpm command
- A factory reset returns the device to an empty default state. In "Android Settings", click on the "Backup & Reset" option.
- Select "Factory data reset" and wait for the process to finish. Your device will reboot when ready.
- Once the device reboots, you will need to re-enable Developer Mode as described in the ADB tutorial.
Install OnSign TV AppWhen the Developer Mode is enabled, it is time to use the adb to install OnSign TV and activate it as a Device Owner.
- Download the latest OnSign TV version from the website.
- Connect your device to a PC using an USB cable. Open the Command Prompt and install OnSign TV by typing the following command:
adb install OnSignTV-NNN.apk*OnSignTV-NNN.apk is the name of the file you downloaded.
Run adb dpm command
- Once the apk is successfully installed, activate the Device Owner by running the following command:
adb shell dpm set-device-owner tv.onsign/.sync.hw.owner.SignageAdminReceiver
From this point on, OnSign TV is active as the Device Owner and cannot be removed.
- Associate the player with your account by entering the code displayed on screen:
- During association, you will be presented with an optional extra password field (lock password).
Enter a password to exit OnSign TV kiosk application on your device. It is not compulsory and you might be able to exit the application even without password.
- On your device app, click on the bottom-left corner 7 times to exit.
If you chose to add a password on the player setup, a input box will request it.
If you did not set a password, OnSign TV will exit at once.