Reduce the file size of large video files before uploading them to OnSign TV and save valuable storage space.
Even though compressing files results in a loss of quality, it will speed up transfer to the platform and players. We recommend converting videos with Handbrake, a free software available for Mac, Windows and Linux:
- Download and install the Handbrake version specific for your computer’s operating system.
- Once downloaded, launch the program.
- From "Output Settings", select "MP4" in the “Container” drop-down menu. Check the “Web Optimized” option.
- On the “Video” tab, choose "H.264" for “Video Codec”.
- Browse the output file "Destination" folder. The program requires that you name the output file. Hit "Save".
- Click on “Source” in the header and then select “File” from the sidebar menu. Browse for the video in the "File Explorer" window and click to "Open".
- Wait for the program to scan the video file.
- Click on the green "Start" button on the header. Depending on your computer and the file size, it may take a while. You can accompany the progression of the conversion in the bar below.
- The converted file will be saved in the folder you specified. In this tutorial, we have used a 50MB MPEG file (left image). With the conversion, we saved about 30 MB (right image).
It might seem complex at first, but we only need to focus on a few settings.